1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Not all business & social networks are the same. UK Business Labs brings people together and makes blogging, networking, discussion and marketing easy and effective. The software is used by tens of millions of people worldwide so it's simple to use too. UK Business Labs integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, Tapatalk and countless other social media tools; which enables you to share your content quickly. You'll need to register before you can post but registration and basic membership is absolutely FREE. Click the image above or the 'Register' link to get networking with thousands of other business owners. We're looking forward to welcoming you!

Does Free Delivery make you buy?

Discussion in 'Public Relations & Press Releases' started by Maevla, Jan 3, 2015.

Maevla

Maevla Administrator Staff Member

We currently charge a flat fee of £10 for delivery rather than incorporating this cost into the item cost and sending with the perception free of charge.

The only exception to this is when we sell on eBay where the shipping is free but this cost is incorporated into the item cost.

We do this on eBay because we have found that the customers perception is that they are being overcharged if paying delivery, even though the ite4m might be cheaper.

It works the other way around for us with telephone and web sales so I'd be interested to know how it works for you guys?

Maev

Paul Norman

Paul Norman Businessman

For me personally it makes no difference. What does irritate me a bit is if the delivery charge doesn't pop up until I am right at the end of the process - it just needs to be very clear from the outset.

Duncan

Duncan Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Nope - I look at the cost plus delivery and assume 'free' delivery is built into the price. In fact I prefer separate delivery with a choice of timescales and costs.

Amazon are forever flogging 'Prime' on the basis of 'free' next day delivery in return for an annual subscription. Maybe required by people with poor time management or planning skills.

I prefer to wait - the tantric approach. Although at my age I can forget what I ordered or fall asleep. Still - both events can result in a nice surprise.o_O

Maevla

I subscribe to Prime I have to admit, as we buy quite often from Amazon, so it actually saves us money. Wasn't too impressed that despite this before xmas, nothing arrived on time though!

UKBL-Admin

UKBL-Admin Administrator Staff Member

My mom used to tell me nothing comes free in this world anymore :)

Maevla

So true!

Silverisametal

Silverisametal Lab Tech Premium Member

'Free Delivery when you spend over £30'....

Yeah, let me buy something else I don't need so that my delivery is free....:banghead:

Toni Rose likes this.
    james murphy

james murphy Sarcasm in bucketloads - Say hi though!

it doesn't, but getting a charge added right at the end can make me think twice.

thelegalstop

thelegalstop Senior Lab Tech

CoffeeBeans13

CoffeeBeans13 Graduate

You know I have yet to actually complete a sale on the Ikea website as it NEVER works. And I've tried often enough - so always end up going to the store anyway.

thelegalstop

thelegalstop Senior Lab Tech

Haha, that's weird, I have actually done it several times - no hassle at all! On the other hand, I went to the store the other day to buy black paint, and it turned out to be grey... Almost painted my bookcase, though!

NickHarrison

NickHarrison Graduate

Call me dumb but I would rather choose free delivery. Of course, I'll do my research and check if product B comes at a lower price including the paid delivery. Then, if quality and personal preferences are out of the equation, I will go with the cheaper total, no matter of the delivery. But the free tag surely gets a lot of people. If I were the seller, I'd probably include the delivery fee in the final price and add a big red FREE shipping button. My reply isn't quite relevant to Ebay but for website or phone sales..

Toni Rose

Toni Rose Graduate

I have to admit if I'm shopping on eBay I used to go with the item that had the option of free shipping until one day I actually changed the search criteria to the show the lowest priced items first and found at least 10 of the same items that had delivery as extra were actually much cheaper than the item with free delivery - it just goes to show we see the word free and assume we are getting the best deal. That Said I don't mind paying higher postage rates if am given a guaranteed delivery date there's nothing worse than ordering an item that needs to be signed for and there is no indication on the website of when the item will arrive!

Simply Business likes this.
    RMcDermid

RMcDermid Applicant

Older buyers are less bothered about free shipping, younger online shoppers are more demanding, according to this report

UKBL-Admin likes this.
    CygnusB

CygnusB Graduate

I find myself looking to see who the courier is. Often but not always free shippers use the lower quality end of couriers and that is what I base my decision on. I'd rather pay £5 for delivery and know it will arrive in one piece or even that it will arrive at all.
    I never buy from anywhere that uses Yodel for example, that's like saying - here have some free hassle thrown in for FREE. So the free delivery isn't free because it costs me time and effort chasing up where my parcel might be. I've found myself shopping less on Amazon over the last few months as their own Amazon Delivery service seems to be unbadged Yodel drivers as well.

Toni Rose

Toni Rose Graduate

I agree about Yodel you can almost guarantee you won't receive your parcel on time or at all!

Nny likes this.
    Maevla

I bought something on 2 weeks ago, from a company I've bought from 3 or 4 times. It didn't arrive and when I tracked it a week later it said -

Delivery attempt one 12.42pm - delivery refused
    Delivery attempt 2 - - 11.02am - Couldn't gain access to building
    Delivery Attempt 3 - 5.58pm - Building closed

All lies by Yodel - so I asked for a refund and purchased elsewhere. Nothing to do with free delivery - they had changed courier from DPD to Yodel... won't buy from there again now, even though the company itself is great.

Stuart Mcguinness

Stuart Mcguinness Applicant

the only time it affects me, is say when I'm using Amazon or eBay and I do a like for like price comparison with shipping included.

Simply Business

Simply Business Freshman

Really interesting thread! Naturally we're drawn to FREE delivery... but when you factor in the potential hassle that comes with it depending on courier, supplier etc, I certainly agree it can be a false dawn! And as @Toni Rose mentioned, you can often find an item cheaper but with paid delivery!

The Packaging Site

The Packaging Site High Quality Packaging Solutions

It makes a huge difference for our website, this might be due to the nature of the product because people can make huge savings when having cardboard boxes delivered for free.