1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Not all business & social networks are the same. UK Business Labs brings people together and makes blogging, networking, discussion and marketing easy and effective. The software is used by tens of millions of people worldwide so it's simple to use too. UK Business Labs integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, Tapatalk and countless other social media tools; which enables you to share your content quickly. You'll need to register before you can post but registration and basic membership is absolutely FREE. Click the image above or the 'Register' link to get networking with thousands of other business owners. We're looking forward to welcoming you!

Does anyone here run a franchise?

Discussion in 'Franchising' started by Emma, Jul 30, 2008.

Duncan

Duncan Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

50 questions to ask a franchisor - Bfa

Questions to ask. You need to know why you are asking them and how to interpret the answers.

All regulatory or pseudo regulatory bodies are less than perfect.

Caveat Emptor applies as much to franchises as any other major purchase or investment.

captaincloser

captaincloser View from the Crow's nest

The known fact, as I know it, is that people who buy into a franchise have a very much better chance of still being in business after 12 months than the guy who goes it alone. The guy who goes alone does have his own business and can fol at will.

But the other side of the coin is that old guys like me who have seen the franchise model mutate over many years would tell you that the combination of the bank loan and the ruthlessly one sided franchisor terms (backed up to the hilt by the BFA) means the franchisee these days, the typical franchisee coming out of middle management to buy his business off the shelf is a small pawn in the franchise world and very much holds employee status no matter what the glossy brochures tell you.

Plus,they are not starting a company from scratch.They are opening a branch of Someone else's company, being given usually a uniform and a title and led to believe they are a groundbreaker when in fact they have taken on a ball breaker of a JOB.

Ask around, the dream soon collapses into reality. Many do make good money but they put in horrendous hours and must sometimes wonder what keeps their noses to the grindstone ?

The answer of course is the criminal terms in many of the franchise agreements. Read the small print and see how much of an entrepreneur you really are. You simply cannot close up an walk away. No Sir, you have an agreement that will be shouted to you in a court of law if you want to stop being the employee.

We all have a view. Macdonalds and other big fry (get that pun !) are fine and not what I am talking about. Most franchises for me are smoke and mirrors and the BFA are just blowing poison sooty smoke up their own derrières day in and day out. A dysfunctional lads club with a crafty line in appearing the punters friend but being backed by the bookmakers all along. Don't be a mug punter with franchises is the answer. Keep your powder (cash) dry.

ISS

ISS Son of Victor Meldrew Premium Member

The thing with the bigger franchise opportunities that we all agree are "ok and sound" is that the sheer cost of getting involved is prohibitive to 99.9% of people.

They do work well and there are great profits to be made however they also reinforce the old adage that money makes money.

MCSFranchise

MCSFranchise Applicant

I think the one main point would be that franchising is not for everyone, there are some people (not many) who have the money (lots and lots) to do it a lone and through money at there business to make it a success, and to make it a known brand, don't forget one of the many reasons you buy a franchise is brand awareness, that pure fact that the company you are buying into has been trading for some years and has a "reputation" that the new franchisee buys into, there are many companies out there that have been started for 1 year and franchising which I disagree with as they have no reputation or experience.

Also your point about buying a job. I see and slightly agree with that but there is more to it that just buying a job, you are buying security and in many occasions flexibility. There are many part time and home based businesses you can buy into where that main work would be completed at head office by the franchisor thus giving you time run and grow your business plus the flexibility to fit around you life style (to a point) and not having to answer to a boss.

MCS Franchise - cleaning franchise, business franchise

ISS

You think it takes loads of money to run a business successfully? Franchising is by no means the largest sector in business MCS. You don't give credit to people for their ability to set up, run and market their own businesses.

captaincloser likes this.
    MCSFranchise

MCSFranchise Applicant

ISS, It certainly take a good amount of money and time to have a successful business. Franchising is fast growing with more and more companies seeing franchising as the best way to expand. I am sorry if I offended you or anyone for perching that people cannot start up and run there own business, all I am saying is that it is sometimes a better choice to buy a franchise rather than to start up them selves from scratch.

http://www.mcsfranchise.co.uk/

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2014
    ISS

No, no it doesn't. You can start a successful business with minimal money.

Offended? Heck not a chance mate I'm disagreeing with you. :lol:

Disagreement is not offence. Honestly. Are we really at that point now in this country? Gah it gets worse....

I'm just blunt

Jon

MCSFranchise

MCSFranchise Applicant

Hmm, I have tried several business and spent a reasonable amount of money before pulling the plug. If you feel that you can start a successful business with minimal money then that's great, can you tell me what they are so I can try ;)

ISS

Ask the people on this forum and see how many of them are franchisees, you'll find that over 90% aren't but they all run businesses.

MCSFranchise

MCSFranchise Applicant

I have both/all. I have a successful business and franchising it, also have a franchise in another industry.

captaincloser

captaincloser View from the Crow's nest

I know of franchisors who manipulate these figures to show that it is the franchisor who stays in business far more than the average business. That is not the same as saying that franchisees have the same success rate.
    Many franchisees are in and out in a flash same as other budding entrepreneurs. The safety net is a bit of a false bottom in many cases ?

Quite often the burn rate is very high. Also when looking at any figures it's important to differentiate between multi national franchises like subway and McD and the SME franchises for oven cleaning, domestic cleaning and printers for example.

Skewed figures are a feature of franchising that the BFE do nothing about and it's down to the potential franchisee to get to the bottom of the history of the company/franchisor that they are thinking of buying a job/business from.

most should agree with this.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2014
    Piotr Sylwester

Piotr Sylwester Applicant

Well, I'm having my personal franchise of the online business for 2 years now, and I can't complain at all.

Callum Short

Callum Short Applicant

Hi,

Franchising is a great industry with many brilliant business opportunities. As the industry grows however, we are seeing more and more low quality franchises. If you are considering buying-in to a franchise, I recommend reading the following article on how to choose a profitable franchise

Hope I helped :)

Knape

Knape Applicant

Hi!

I agree with Callum Short above - we are seeing more and more low quality franchises. It is important to look for something with solid bases and good marketshare. You may probably think, that if they have big market share, there will be no more space for you, but you're wrong. I know it from my own life :) I've joined language school franchise with a solid base and as for today, I'm happy. But I know, that it is important to choose a franchise which care about its partners - not just want to get paid.

Look in internet for an opinions, try to talk with those people in other cities - you will get best opinions!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2015
    Xfranchisee

Xfranchisee Applicant

Hi all,

Having been a licencee once and a multi unit franchisee twice with mixed results and views. I do highly endorse this sector. I would however highly recommend that any one looking at this as a route to self employment conducts thorough research and business planning.

There are three socially focused organisations I know of in the UK that can provide support advice and guidance in different forms at no cost to get you started.

Ewif supports women into franchising
    Franchisingworks supports workless ness and unemployed people into franchising with free find out about franchising workshops
    Bfa is the UK voluntary standard. Has lots of tools and resources

My tips (learn from where I failed!)
    - always seek professional unbiased advice
    - research and test market (prove it to yourself)
    - speak to a random selection of franchisees, make sure you can choose these.
    - start with an exit strategy.
    - accept that failure can happen but share and learn from this.

Hope this helps.

Maevla

Maevla Administrator Staff Member

Some good points franchisee - welcome to the forum :)

James Poet

James Poet Applicant

I owned a franchise and there is lots of great advice here.

Always speak to other franchisees and not just the ones they suggest you call....

And stay well away from BBX UK.

I had a BBX UK franchise and it has proved the worst decision I have ever made.