1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Not all business & social networks are the same. UK Business Labs brings people together and makes blogging, networking, discussion and marketing easy and effective. The software is used by tens of millions of people worldwide so it's simple to use too. UK Business Labs integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, Tapatalk and countless other social media tools; which enables you to share your content quickly. You'll need to register before you can post but registration and basic membership is absolutely FREE. Click the image above or the 'Register' link to get networking with thousands of other business owners. We're looking forward to welcoming you!

Does a business lose out if it doesn't have a website?

Discussion in 'SEO, Social Media & Web Marketing' started by Maevla, Apr 21, 2015.

Maevla

Maevla Administrator Staff Member

I have just come across this article from last year,

http://bit.ly/1ymt4Dx

I am constantly Googling stuff and come across companies all the time that don't appear to have a website, or if they do it bears no resemblance to the business name and is really difficult to find because of this. I don't use any other medium to find a business other than a search engine

These are the sort of companies I tend to just move past and then continue to look for others that do have a web site.

I'm not sure why I do this really, as some companies have terrible websites and this could possibly be worse than not having a website at all.

What are your thoughts about businesses that don't have a web presence? Do they lose out?

Nny

Nny Freshman

That article won't work for me =(

I suppose it depends on the company. Like if it's a brick and mortar shop I don't mind if their website is a bit crap so long as it has their phone number, email address and opening times (I frequently check opening times as I hate getting somewhere and finding it's shut). If I'm trying to find somewhere to eat I'll pretty much only go somewhere that has a menu on their website. For tattoo places, I want to be able to see examples of their previous work on their website. For other services like hairdressing, I want to be able to find their prices.

Duncan

Duncan Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

If you don't have a website you probably get free business cards from vista print too!o_O

People will google you and will judge you by your website or lack thereof. The important thing is to make a conscious decision about whether you want one and if you do make sure it reflects the image you want to portray.

No website can still be better than a poor one!

HFE Signs

HFE Signs Signs, Banners, Flags & Digital Print Premium Member

Come on guys, you know the score, no two businesses are the same, some businesses really don't need one do they.. example a fruit and veg market trader.. where others use a website as a brochure and others use it as lead generation.. but you know all this..

Duncan

Duncan Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

HFE Signs

HFE Signs Signs, Banners, Flags & Digital Print Premium Member

But does you average fruit and veg market trader have the skills to scale a business to the likes of Able & Cole and do they want to.. The point I'm making is: All businesses are different so its not as black and white as the question suggests. For some businesses a website is their lifeline, for others its not and for some it really doesn't matter.

Maevla

Maevla Administrator Staff Member

That's a nice website Duncan

I do agree that some businesses won't need a website to trade, like a local fruit and veg market trader who doesn't want to grow to a significant size, they just want to make a living.
    But -

Given that it's so cheap these days to create or have a crested, a holding page that perhaps might have your company contact details, your opening hours a brief description of what you do, better than having no web presence at all?

Krystsina

Krystsina Freshman

Hey there,

I think a lot depends on different spheres of business as well as on different locations. There might be a tendency at one specific market when a website is completely not needed as there are other ways of company presence promotion apart from having a website. For example, sometimes a Facebook profile of the company can bring more company awareness than having a website or accounts on different social media channels. And I would also like to say that yes, sometimes it is better not to have a website at all than having a website that looks like if the Internet was only created yesterday.

Asher ross

Asher ross Applicant

Here, we are talking about business and not trading. Trading is carried out on a small scale and that is where vegetable vendors and bricks and mortar shop come. Business is carried out on a large scale and restaurants, salons etc can be tagged under this section. Today, where if we want to go to a salon and if at all an individual wants to try a new salon or doesn't know any in his area then first thing that strikes him or her is-Lets Google it. There he finds number of options. Having a website is a plus point as it portrays that you are professional and want to deliver the maximum amount of information to consumers. For large businesses it is obligatory to have a website as for them it is important to be ahead of their competitors in each and every frontier. For promotion and marketing stuff, Facebook page does the needful. If your target market is huge then just a Facebook page will not be sufficient as there are people depending on websites more rather than Facebook page. And, in this era of competition why to loose even a single prospect.

Karma Content

Karma Content Freshman

That is complete nonsense.

Or they'll just ask some people that they trust. Yes websites are essential for most businesses but they aren't essential for all. Lots of businesses make a very good living without a website or social media which is why they don't have one.