1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Not all business & social networks are the same. UK Business Labs brings people together and makes blogging, networking, discussion and marketing easy and effective. The software is used by tens of millions of people worldwide so it's simple to use too. UK Business Labs integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, Tapatalk and countless other social media tools; which enables you to share your content quickly. You'll need to register before you can post but registration and basic membership is absolutely FREE. Click the image above or the 'Register' link to get networking with thousands of other business owners. We're looking forward to welcoming you!

Do you know the difference between marketing and PR?

Discussion in 'Public Relations & Press Releases' started by Maevla, Feb 24, 2015.

Maevla

Maevla Administrator Staff Member

We have a weekly challenge in the workplace that encourages our staff to come up with new ideas for sales or ways we can do things better etc

We had been talking today about marketing and it was interesting that most of our guys didn't know the difference between marketing and PR, especially with the onset of social media, so I was wondering what your definitions of marketing and of PR are?

Maev

Silverisametal

Silverisametal Lab Tech Premium Member

I'm interested to see where this thread goes...

In my view, they are very similar if not pretty much the same, however I know that's not correct!
    We use marketing to show a targeted audience what products/services we have to offer. And as far as I'm aware, we use PR to get it in to things such as industry related magazines, online blogs etc, but is that not a form of marketing as well?

Marketing seems to be skill related, for example our internal marketing guru is incredible at what he does, comes up with some really fancy/innovative methods of broadcasting what we can offer as a company... something that takes years of training/experience.

PR seems to be more about who you know, what magazines/papers you can get in to.

Please enlighten me... :whistle:

james murphy

james murphy Sarcasm in bucketloads - Say hi though!

I find them very different.

Marketing: Intentionally putting your product and service out there, along with a way of purchasing it, perhaps a cost, a call to action.

PR: Putting out news, interesting info etc to the media and allowing people to know who you are - profile raising if you will.

For Example:

My company sent an email out to our clients telling them about our great new holiday application, asking them to add it to their online systems for just £300. (Marketing)

We sent a news story in about our excellent apprentices, how proud we are of them and how well they are doing (PR)

Maevla

Maevla Administrator Staff Member

I think they are both very different

Marketing - here we think of marketing as the sister to sales, it will add something to your bottom line. You would market your products or services, for the reason that you want to sell that product or service and make a profit.

PR - Public Relations we think is more about relationships, and is more along the lines of *earned media* so appearing in an editorial rather than a paid advertising slot (marketing) PR you would use to build up your brand image.

Good examples from James above.

UKBL-Admin likes this.
    CoffeeBeans13

CoffeeBeans13 Graduate

I would agree PR is about getting your company name out there and recognised whereas marketing to me is advertising.