1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Not all business & social networks are the same. UK Business Labs brings people together and makes blogging, networking, discussion and marketing easy and effective. The software is used by tens of millions of people worldwide so it's simple to use too. UK Business Labs integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, Tapatalk and countless other social media tools; which enables you to share your content quickly. You'll need to register before you can post but registration and basic membership is absolutely FREE. Click the image above or the 'Register' link to get networking with thousands of other business owners. We're looking forward to welcoming you!

Dashboard Camera - do you use one?

Discussion in 'Law & Insurance' started by Maevla, Feb 27, 2016.

Maevla

Maevla Administrator Staff Member

Dashboard camera saves £60,000
    A dashboard camera - or dashcam - is an onboard camera that continuously records the view through a vehicle’s windscreen. They can either be attached to the interior windscreen or to the top of the dashboard by suction cup or adhesive-tape mount. There are many types of dashcam available for purchase
    Although the technology has been around for some years, it’s fair to say that dashcams have been slow to catch on. However, a ruling from the Birmingham county court in January 2016 shows that they can have significant benefits. The story starts in 2012 when a road traffic collision occurred between two vehicles - it was the type commonly referred to as a rear end shunt. Following the incident, the four occupants of the first vehicle (A) commenced personal injury claims against the owner and the insurers of vehicle (B) that had hit them. It was owned by a small company

The claimants in vehicle A alleged that they had been travelling behind another vehicle (C) which had made a sudden right turn. That apparently caused the driver of vehicle A to brake and slow down. As a result, the four occupants claimed that the driver of vehicle (B) failed to brake and ran into the back of them. In total their claims were worth around £60,000. However, vehicle B which had hit them was fitted with a dashcam and it was on at the time of the incident.

Its recording showed that vehicle B was indeed travelling behind vehicle A which was positioned extremely close behind vehicle C. Contrary to the allegations, vehicle C did not do a sharp right turn - it peeled off on to a slip road (on the right) at which point the driver of vehicle A slammed on his brakes and came to a complete stop in the road for no good reason. Despite his best efforts, the driver of vehicle B was unable to stop - his actions certainly weren’t negligent.

As a result of the incident being caught by the dashcam, the insurers of vehicle B were able to convince the court that the claims were probably fraudulent and the case was thrown out. Interestingly, had there been no footage it would have been the driver of vehicle B’s word against the four occupants in vehicle A. Without dashcam footage the insurers would have struggled to defend a claim of this nature and in all likelihood they would have been forced to pay out.

Tip 1. If you are considering a dashcam for a work or personal vehicle, speak to your insurers first. Many give a discount on their premiums if you select one of their preferred models.

Tip 2. As well as preventing insurance payouts, a dashcam can also protect your hard-earned no claim discount and stop your premiums from rising.

Do you use a dashcam and has it proved useful?

thelegalstop

thelegalstop Senior Lab Tech

Very good article! Dashboard cameras are quite common these days, I've got one in my own car.

Paul Norman

Paul Norman Businessman

It is an interesting topic. For sure, I am considering one.

An acquaintance of mine has one, and showed me some footage. It was enlightening, as they were, on the footage, massively too close to the car in front. I recommend two things, really. First, get a dashcam. Second, only turn it on if your driving is as good as you think it is.

Nublue

Nublue Freshman

I use a dashcam app (Autoboy) on my Android phone, which is also used for Satnav (Route 66's Navigation). Don't drive that often these days but in the few miles I do, still managed to catch an accident ahead of me on the M62. Someone pulled into lane 1 of a motorway in front of and very close to a car already in lane 1, braked hard causing the rear car to run into the back of them. My view, the car that pulled into lane 1 so close to the car already in lane 1 was at fault.

Didn't realise they'd hit until I got home and reviewed the recording. Offered it to the police, not interested. Asked the police if they could get it to those involved, not interested.

Maevla

I think that the view of the police will change in time as these things become more and more common. I suppose for right now, the cam is to protect yourself rather it be of help to somebody else.

BarneyBlue23

BarneyBlue23 Trainee Lab Tech

Somebody could create a site like that show that used to be on telly whose name escapes me right now - with Jeremy Beadle? Where you send your funny clips - I'll bet it could be hilarious

ISS

ISS Son of Victor Meldrew Premium Member

I was given one for Christmas and haven't installed it yet. I can see the benefits as well as the pitfalls. Now I just need to turn off the bit that records how fast I am going.....

Maevla

The speed would also be my downfall haha - I can't drive like Miss Daisy - I just can't do it....

Paul Norman

Paul Norman Businessman

I am welling up here. For years, I have endured business forums where everyone tells me that approve of 5mph speed limits and anyone who ever went 72mph is more evil than Jack the Ripper.

The fact is - on real roads - the traffic flow is often a reflection of the real driving conditions, and poor driving is a bigger killer than going at 8mph

I love you guys. Properly .

UKBL-Admin and Silverisametal like this.
    Maevla

LOL @Paul - I Love you right back.

If I drove at 72MPH it would add an extra hour to my travel time each day. On the stretch of A1 I drive - it's rare you see a traffic cop - but even when you do, it's not the going fast they seem to be looking at - it's the idiots that slam on the brakes because they just passed a *cop car* doing 75mph, and I k now they are much more likely to end up with a ticket than me tootling along just a little faster :whistle:

ISS

ISS Son of Victor Meldrew Premium Member

I regularly drive past motorway police in the inside lane, at a speed of around 80mph. They are looking for the 85mph plus guys.

It's poor driving that kills people- not speed.

Paul Norman likes this.
    Maevla

What's an inside lane? :LOL:

Silverisametal

Silverisametal Lab Tech Premium Member

This makes me laugh, it's a little funny how the police let people go who think 'stuff it I'm doing 80mph', rather than those who think 'woops a police car, I better slow down'....

I was once on the motorway at roughly 80mph when a police car pulled out behind me, I thought best to not slow down as I just look suspicious, so kept on... he followed me for around 10 minutes until pulling off at a junction.

Police car doing 80mph on a motorway for no reason, shocker eh? :finger:

Maevla

If you think about it though Silver - what's more dangerous - carrying on at 80mph - or slamming the brakes on in fast moving traffic.
    You're much more likely to get a ticket for not being aware of the traffic conditions around you than driving at 80mph.

The worst and most inaccurate slogan ever brought out is - Speed Kills - IMO

Silverisametal

I hate to be 'ageist'... but I do think that people should have to retake a driving test when they get to 60/65... ?

It's not just the 25mph in 40mph zones, is being in wrong lanes, not indicating, unnecessary breaking. argh!!
    Got a little road raged just thinking about it...

Maevla

It's not just age. Women driving 4x4 who are scared of the car are also a problem :)

Courtesy of Viral Bee

A driver is pulled over by a policeman. The policeman approaches the drivers door.

"Is there a problem, Officer?"

The policeman says, "Sir, you were speeding. Can I see your license please?"...

The driver responds, "I'd give it to you but I don't have one."

"You don't have one?"

The man responds, "I lost it four times for drink driving."

The policeman is shocked. "I see. Can I see your vehicle registration papers please?"

"I'm sorry, I can't do that."

The policeman says, "Why not?"

"I stole this car."

The officer says, "Stole it?"

The man says, "Yes, and I killed the owner."

At this point the officer is getting irate. "You what?"

"She's in the boot if you want to see."

The Officer looks at the man and slowly backs away to his car and calls for back up. Within minutes, five police cars show up, surrounding the car. A senior officer slowly approaches the car, clasping his half-drawn gun.

The senior officer says, "Sir, could you step out of your vehicle please!"

The man steps out of his vehicle. "Is there a problem, sir?"

"One of my officers told me that you have stolen this car and murdered the owner."

"Murdered the owner?"

The officer responds, "Yes, could you please open the boot of your car please?"

The man opens the boot, revealing nothing but an empty boot.

The officer says, "Is this your car sir?"

The man says, "Yes" and hands over the registration papers.

The officer, understandably, is quite stunned. "One of my officers claims that you do not have a driving licence."

The man digs in his pocket revealing a wallet and hands it to the officer. The officer opens the wallet and examines the licence. He looks quite puzzled. "Thank you, sir. One of my officers told me you didn't have a licence, stole this car, and murdered the owner."

The man replies, "I bet you the lying bastard told you I was speeding, too!"

Silverisametal

This is genius!!!

Richard Aston

Richard Aston Marketing Manager

Great article! dash cams have been an integral technology for us in terms of helping to close road traffic accident claims quickly and identifying the culprit responsible.