1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Not all business & social networks are the same. UK Business Labs brings people together and makes blogging, networking, discussion and marketing easy and effective. The software is used by tens of millions of people worldwide so it's simple to use too. UK Business Labs integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, Tapatalk and countless other social media tools; which enables you to share your content quickly. You'll need to register before you can post but registration and basic membership is absolutely FREE. Click the image above or the 'Register' link to get networking with thousands of other business owners. We're looking forward to welcoming you!

Copyrighting my Logo

Discussion in 'Intellectual Property & Trademarking' started by The Cue Store, Dec 26, 2012.

theangrydog

theangrydog Domaining & Web Development

As far as I'm aware there is new copyright legislation coming in, where you have to declaire who the copyright holder is on works, it's always wise to put "tm" on your logo in case anyone does copy it,

Mark

Mark Moderator Staff Member

I can't see that happening - do you have a link?

'TM' is normally used where a mark is being used in a trade mark 'sense' and/or to indicate that a trade mark is being applied for - it has little to do with a statement of copyright.

® indicates that it has actually been registered (and is illegal to use if that's not the case).

:)

theangrydog

Link to proposed changed to copyright law
    Intellectual Property Office - Implementing the Hargreaves review

You are right the ® symbol cannot be used unless it has actually been registerd "TM" however just means that it is your "trade mark" not that it has been registered, ® or "RTM" are the proper forms for registered marks not "TM"

Mark

Mark Moderator Staff Member

Thanks, clearly I missed that.

Wow...

That's disgraceful... :tdn:

theangrydog

Agree

It's going to impact several of my businesses,

davidcraigwhite

davidcraigwhite Freshman Premium Member

Trademarkroom

Trademarkroom Applicant

Hello.

A registered trademark will give you the sole right to use your brand and prevent others from doing so without your consent. In terms of what to trademark, Nike is a good example:
    Nike have trademarked the word Nike only, Nike and logo (tick) and logo only. This is the best form of protection against trade mark infrignement. However this also means 3 x applications. You can start with one application including word and logo and build up a portfolio of trade mark protection.

We can offer searches and application services and have been doing so since 1998. Please get in touch for a initial free consultation.

PPC-Karim

PPC-Karim Graduate

pretty sure Nike has hundreds if not thousands of trademarks for every line of show they have like

shox
    tn
    just do it
    air jordan

etc
    etc
    etc

Trademarkroom

Trademarkroom Applicant

Hi, yes they do have many registered trade marks. The tick is just a good example to use to differentiate between word and logo type marks.

PPC-Karim

PPC-Karim Graduate

well Nike is in a completely different playing field than most small businesses. Nike trades in it's brand completely [arguably] so it's important to trademark everything to protect their brand.

Does the average small business have that issues of other businesses stealing their trade "markings" and passing themselves as you. I don't think so. It is a wasted £170 IMO - which doesn't carry much legal weight anyway unless you have a legal fund to pursue any violators through the courts.

To the OP: without the slightest bit of disrespect, I suspect you're a small business, as you grow and establish yourself more. Your logo will get more refined - you may way to Tm "the cue store" brand name - personally as a small business owner I would have other priorities than to spend £170 for registration and possible other legal fees for a lawyer to do this for you.

The Cue Store

The Cue Store Junior Lab Tech

Yes I am a small business, but my previous logo was a generic one which I have seen being used by one of my suppliers and by a snooker coach hence my OP.

Graphics & Print

Graphics & Print Applicant

Copyright is good but if someone else used your image the other side of the planet the chances of you ever finding out is minimal & also how far are you willing to go to protect the copyright. It could be a very expensive process.

Slough Business

Slough Business Graduate

You dont need to copyright so to speak because its already your intellectual property. In regards to registering it as a trade mark, its a bit of a legual black hole and i would advice getting a lawyer to handle it for you. That way you can be sure nothing will slip through the net.

thrillstardesign

thrillstardesign Freshman

As has been discussed, the creator of the logo will own the copyright (provided that it's an original piece of work! It should be if you've used a decent designer).

You should get them to sign the copyright over to you in writing.

JennyGW

JennyGW Guest

I can help.

I am a photographer. Every image I take for a client is still my image even after I have passed it to my client. The image maintains my Intellectual Property Rights.

To avoid expensive legal costs and penalties it is worth making sure that anyone providing you with images is allowing you to use them for anything you want to use them for.

This also covers software developed for a customer, such as a website. The designer holds the Intellectual Property Rights. You cannot without express permission from the designer take that software and use it for another application.

(In the USA it is possible to send images to an authority who registers your copyright. This is not the case in the UK.)

concisemediabranding

concisemediabranding Applicant

Copywriting your logo is not necessary anymore. The best thing you need to do is create a logo design that includes the initial of your brand name and catchy, just like what PPC-Karim said.

AleXanDr.

AleXanDr. Graduate

I figure you just need a TM on your logo and you should be fine. I always thought if someone made something for you and you paid them, you'd get the rights to it, but I might be wrong.