1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Not all business & social networks are the same. UK Business Labs brings people together and makes blogging, networking, discussion and marketing easy and effective. The software is used by tens of millions of people worldwide so it's simple to use too. UK Business Labs integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, Tapatalk and countless other social media tools; which enables you to share your content quickly. You'll need to register before you can post but registration and basic membership is absolutely FREE. Click the image above or the 'Register' link to get networking with thousands of other business owners. We're looking forward to welcoming you!

Can anyone help with SMS marketing?

Discussion in 'Public Relations & Press Releases' started by Finn Hill, Jul 1, 2013.

Finn Hill

Finn Hill Applicant

Hello I have a small start up business and am looking to spread my name, grow my business and improve sales. I have heard that mobile marketing is the new and best way to do this??? Is this true???

I apologise as I am not completely up on this, so was just wondering if any one had a tips, help or previous experience on this and whether it's worth while.

Thanks in advance.

Finn Hill

Finn Hill Applicant

Has anyone had any positive or negative responses from mobile marketing?? I have done a few magazine adverts etc. but not really sure if the response was that good.

And I am not sure if mobile marketing will just be annoying for my customers?

Mark

Mark Moderator Staff Member

Nobody can help you specifically because nobody knows what you do.

Maybe try an introduction? :)

Spock

Spock Graduate

I hate it when I get SMS from companies. If I did get one from you it would make me do the opposite of using you. I'm sure there are much better alternatives.

mediaguy

mediaguy Trainee Lab Tech

Mobile marketing or spamming, seems to be a fine line between the two. Everyone thinks its so easy eg: wack an advert together, shell out some dough and presto - the whole world will know you inside of an hour.

This only works for certain types, mostly social co's as the main targeting is too general as everyone owns a mobile, mobile marketing uses a blunderbuss approach and hits everyone - no way to know who owns what company or demographic from a mobile/text number. Your ad will end up hitting and peeving off a ton of people and likely cost a fortune too, with little return. What do I mean, well - the 'concert adverts' I keep getting from Orange really annoy me - there's no way those ads are targeting the right person or group because they reached me and I'm not a festival follower.

What you need is a bookmarking mobile App, (depending on biz type) users simply download from your website/other store, and its a direct link that brings up your site on people's phones. Always let people make the choice, as its a word of mouth thing, and mobile apps are great for that. Great thing about Apps is their a one-time set-up fee, people add them to their mobiles so it wont cost you anything and it can have a viral effect.

I mean, who do want to target? V-important before doing anything

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2013
    samuel and Mark like this.
    chillfire

chillfire Trainee Lab Tech

One of my clients is a partner to O2/Vodafone etc and an interesting piece of info for anyone getting spam SMS.
    Take the number you are getting spammed from over to Network Lookup

This will tell you what network the mobile is on (99% of the time anyway), you can then contact that network and tell give them the number and complain their network is spamming people.
    If enough people complain then the network is obliged to block the number, bearing in mind most of the spamming comes from pay as you go SIMs plugged into SMS boxes then the network isn't losing anything by killing the SIM.

My view on SMS marketing... don't do it unless you are talking to existing customers about something they have asked for.
    I think it's a waste of time and money and only winds people up.

cheers

mediaguy and The Cue Store like this.
    thelegalstop

thelegalstop Senior Lab Tech

Hi Finn, it would be good if we know what you do. I could not agree that the mobile marketing is the best way to generate new clients. Just like e-mail marketing, mobile marketing has its pros and cons. It could be useful, only if you reach an audience, which specifically wants to receive such information - in all other cases it is spam and people are quite reluctant to read such e-mail and SMSs.

There is a great diversity of marketing techniques, so why don`t you review them and choose a few, which will be most suitable for your business. If mobile marketing works fine for a certain business it does not mean it is universal.

Finn Hill

Finn Hill Applicant

Thanks for all your responses.

I have opened a small, mid to up market restaurant. I do have returning customers which is good and hopefully word of mouth will bring new customers. But some nights are slow and I would just like to try bump them up a bit. I dont want to have a Facebook profile really, but was thinking maybe to have a bank of existing customers numbers that maybe I could text offers to if its slow on that particular day?????

Some of you have said not to use Mobile Marketing, but if there was a nice restaurant in your town texted you to say, 20% off tonight, would you mind??

mediaguy

I doubt a text message would sway me, seriously..... more likely to respond via a leaflet, but perhaps not as, dunno, can't be bothered to sift them all. What about getting previous customer addresses and sending them a personal voucher? Its more personal, than what is a random offer to 'everyone's mobile'.

I saw Gordon Ramsey stand in a Paris street Picolo Teatro Restaurant (Series 4 ep:4 Kitchen Nightmares Uk) with a billboard pulling in the punters at 6 euros per head. He served them Tomatoe Soup with Cheese on Toast for a lunch shift.

He took 450 euros or something - whats that £387 a day for the lunch shift.

Just a thought....

Finn Hill

Finn Hill Applicant

The trouble is with sending vouchers and leaflets is its not immediate. When we are busy we are full and rushed off our feet so dont need any more custom then, but when we are quiet could do with an immediate way of telling people, (without actually telling people we are quiet) to come in!! Thats why I thought mobile might be the way to go. Has anyone had any experience of using mobile for there business??

ShaneMorrison

ShaneMorrison Freshman

I think as long as the mobile numbers are collected from your actual customers (opted in) and not via marketing lists and by notifying them they you may send them information about future offers, then I can't see why it shouldn't work.

I'm sure I've received texts from Pizza places offering deals which have interested me. SMS messages seem to be the most instant form of text based marketing, they are a lot more intrusive than email though.

Have you considered email marketing? A lot of people have smart phones these days and receive emails on the move, its less intrusive and you can plan campaigns ready for release. Plus you can add graphics, coupons etc that make it look more professional.

If you know when your non-busy periods are you could have a recurring offer to fill these times. E.g Kids eat free Wednesdays.

Finn Hill likes this.
    samuel

samuel Graduate Premium Member

What Shane and mediaguy said: most people treat their mobiles as part of their private spheres, which is why you'll have to handle any sort of messaging intrusion with tact and respect. I would strongly discourage unsolicited messaging; it's a major turn-off and severely cheapens the brand image of your restaurant. Even without communicating the "quiet" bit, by broadcasting your availability to random strangers you're already subtly signalling that your business is desperate for customers right there and then. The only way it could work, in my opinion, is if you have a ready list of customers who have signed up for a messaging list and hence give you permission to keep them updated with offers. You could sweeten the deal by having the SMS act as a sort of coupon: flash it for 20% off etc. Make the discount forwardable, and you'll maximize the viral potential of mobile marketing.

Finn Hill

Finn Hill Applicant

Yeah I think what I am going to do is have a section on every bill where they can write their mobile numbers and sign up to receive offers from us.

Has anyone got any experience with these SMS companies as there seems to be a few out there, and first hand experience is always good.

mediaguy

Get a signature on the bill too. This proves they signed up to be contacted.

deren_stevens

deren_stevens Applicant

I actually think if you used SMS marketing to send out a specials or coupons, it could work out just fine. Something advertising a special that your customers could redeem by showing you their text, which could contain a special "code". You could measure your success by the number of people who respond and show you the text message. If no one responds, you'll know you need to change tactics.

Finn Hill likes this.
    amphissoftware

amphissoftware Applicant

Send SMS Messages

if my dentist send me a SMS Message to remind me to turn up for an appointment then that's fine.

maybe if a restaurant I already go to sends me a SMS Message about a special offer, that's ok.

but I wouldn't appreciate any SMS Messages from any companies that I'm not already a customer of. I think Email would be more suitable for that. as has already been said, a mobile is more personal and I think people are less likely to appreciate SMS Messages from unknown companies.

if you want to send SMS Messages to your existing customers, you can easily send a message to groups of Contacts at a time with Amphis Customer CRM.

Tom

samuel

samuel Graduate Premium Member

What Tom said. Essentially it boils down to permission in marketing—a consumer who has experienced your service/product before and gives you explicit permission to send them tailored messages in future is much further down the sales funnel than a random person who has no idea who you are. With any marketing effort, the idea should be to pull them closer to you, and not push them away. A targeted message to a prior customer is a pull. Random spam to annoyed mobile users is always a definite push.

theangrydog

theangrydog Domaining & Web Development

as long as its opt in, and your not buying lists, it should be ok,

Were currently testing a review system via qr codes, collects the numbers to send voucher code, seems to work well, at my friends restaurant.

Finn Hill

Finn Hill Applicant

Yeah I wont be sending texts to people who are not customers, only those that have signed up at the bottom of their bill. Going to use it as more of a loyalty scheme for existing customers.

Has anyone had any experience with Text Local, Esendex or Text Marketer???

dadsan

dadsan Applicant

I think sms marketing is best for small scale business and really useful for marketer.You can send information about your product to the customer.f you want to send SMS Messages to your existing customers, you can easily send a message to groups of Contacts at a time,Its really useful!