1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Not all business & social networks are the same. UK Business Labs brings people together and makes blogging, networking, discussion and marketing easy and effective. The software is used by tens of millions of people worldwide so it's simple to use too. UK Business Labs integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, Tapatalk and countless other social media tools; which enables you to share your content quickly. You'll need to register before you can post but registration and basic membership is absolutely FREE. Click the image above or the 'Register' link to get networking with thousands of other business owners. We're looking forward to welcoming you!

Business Car Insurance - I'm Not Covered and You Might Not Be Either

Discussion in 'Law & Insurance' started by JonV6, Dec 8, 2014.

JonV6

JonV6 Applicant

It turns out I've been driving uninsured every time I go and see a client for the past year and a half. I had no idea. I've been looking to update my personal vehicle insurance policy recently and ended up doing a bit of research around the subject of business insurance. That's when I discovered you're not covered for journey's to see clients under your personal insurance policy! More info here: http://www.keithmichaels.co.uk/business-vehicle-insurance/business-car-insurance-explained/

Did anyone else know about this? I can't believe I've gone a year and a half into running my own business with no one, government or insurance company based, telling me I wouldn't be covered. I think it's important people are made aware.

thelegalstop

thelegalstop Senior Lab Tech

You are right. It is really important to read through your policy carefully. You can sometimes find certain situations or circumstances, where you are not covered - they may not all be that obvious!

ISS

ISS Son of Victor Meldrew Premium Member

If you had a good broker they would have told you Jon. One of the perils of buying the cheapest online. You get no advice. That's what you pay for with a good broker. (No I'm not a broker :) )

thelegalstop likes this.
    james murphy

james murphy Sarcasm in bucketloads - Say hi though!

I always presumed you wouldn't be. Some policies do cover a limited amount but they all ask you if you do business miles, including the cheapy online ones! Saying no then being surprised you aren't covered (im certainly not saying this is you!) is a bit over the top.

JonV6

JonV6 Applicant

Ha well you could have fooled me. But the more I look into this stuff the more I tend to agree with you.

I don't remember being asked about business miles when I took mine out but that was a few years ago. I fee like I've been too busy to 'shop around' when it comes to renewal time but finding this out has made me re-think!

james murphy

james murphy Sarcasm in bucketloads - Say hi though!

On occasions they have included some without prompting, online they usually have an option box (or tick system)

Social + Domestic + Pleasure
    SDP + to and from permanent place of work
    SDP + business use

On the phone they would definitely ask. I'm pretty sure that is one of the MUST do questions for the FSA or whoever/whatever governs them.

There are loads of good deals to be had out there! Except when your claims and driving record is as bad as mine!

If I was recommending Sainsburys were very fair, paid out quickly for my stolen car and didn't cancel my policy after a full loss claim, they carried it on! And included 3000 business miles.

Though you would be surprised how little extra a few thousand work miles is.

JonV6 likes this.
    JonV6

JonV6 Applicant

Yeah, from the bit of poking around I have done since my 'epiphany' I can see there are some far better deals out there than the one I am currently on. I'll take your recommendation of Sainsburys on board though, thanks James.

Duncan

Duncan Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

On a broader point there are plenty of industries which work on 'bait and switch' because changing every year or so is not what people do. Insurance, Banking, Gas, Electric, Internet, Telephone, Mobile etc. Despite pretending to offer fixed price deals if you point out you can get a better deal many will match it.

Don't get me wrong - everyone has to make a living and a relationship and continuity is worth a small premium. However the cost to consumers of inertia is quite staggering.

For every Ms Seller there has to be a Ms Buyer.

JonV6 likes this.
    ISS

ISS Son of Victor Meldrew Premium Member

Haha Jon. I promise I'm not one, I'm in a completely different industry. I'm glad your research has pointed you the right way though. I've always used a broker, because the service element and advice is well worth the tiny amount of extra money it costs.

Good luck

Jon

JonV6

JonV6 Applicant

In all honesty I'm quite new to this forum game but the responses I've received here have been helpful and insightful so thanks to you all!

ges7408

ges7408 Applicant

I'm also looking for car insurance for a business vehicle. I'm moving to London (Hampstead Heath) from the states. Any recommendations? Do you know of any good car insurance comparison sites like this website but for the U.K.?

Ashutosh

Ashutosh Freshman