1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Not all business & social networks are the same. UK Business Labs brings people together and makes blogging, networking, discussion and marketing easy and effective. The software is used by tens of millions of people worldwide so it's simple to use too. UK Business Labs integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, Tapatalk and countless other social media tools; which enables you to share your content quickly. You'll need to register before you can post but registration and basic membership is absolutely FREE. Click the image above or the 'Register' link to get networking with thousands of other business owners. We're looking forward to welcoming you!

Bogus Self-employment costing millions to workers and Government

Discussion in 'Self Employment' started by Maevla, Aug 31, 2015.

Maevla

Maevla Administrator Staff Member

Paul Norman

Paul Norman Businessman

Bogus self employment will be clamped down on by government, and should be. Just as illegal tax avoidance by wealthy people should be. Both are of equal weight in my mind.

OSWS

OSWS Onestop Webshop, web design & online marketing Premium Member

It's a problem! Zero-hour contracts and those which give employers carté blanche to call in employees at all hours short notice is another. The sooner the Gov't. tightens the rules on unfair practice the better - but unlikely with the current administration.

Maevla

Maevla Administrator Staff Member

I think its unlikely to be totally clamped down on by any administration in the short term, due to the benefit society we live in that has been fostered through previous administrations.

tensales

tensales Applicant

People's understanding of who's responsibility it is to put money in their pocket needs to change. Unfortunately we are conditioned from children into thinking a J O B is the holy grail. There is nothing wrong with being self employed. It ensures people are paid in a performance related way. And protects the employer. Does an employee deserves more rights than an employer? If so why? I have worked for several councils that have to pay £25+ ph for unskilled agency staff to cover the one third of employed staff always on long term sickness (stress, anxiety, sick of work). I have now been self employed for a number of years and would not want someone else dictating a fixed income for me.

epat

epat Freshman

Government seems to busy cracking down on new startups, the stance HMRC are taking (ie not paying tax credits for a long time until you prove viability etc) will stop a LOT of startups from even considering starting up once word gets out.
    OK great, that might stop people who say, hey I am selling my stamp collection on ebay, I am self employed from having a go, but it will also stop the genuine and the next startup who might make it really big.