1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Not all business & social networks are the same. UK Business Labs brings people together and makes blogging, networking, discussion and marketing easy and effective. The software is used by tens of millions of people worldwide so it's simple to use too. UK Business Labs integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, Tapatalk and countless other social media tools; which enables you to share your content quickly. You'll need to register before you can post but registration and basic membership is absolutely FREE. Click the image above or the 'Register' link to get networking with thousands of other business owners. We're looking forward to welcoming you!

Are you good at what you do?

Discussion in 'General Business Talk' started by Mark, Sep 11, 2008.

Mark

Mark Moderator Staff Member

If so, how do you quantify it?

Meanna Blog

Meanna Blog Applicant

Great question. I suppose with myself as a marketeer some of the measureables I have are:

• Number of leads generated
    • Number of appointments booked
    • Number of appointments turned into clients

An Oasis

An Oasis Graduate

One measure is clients/customers who return to use your products & services.

I was going to say I think many people know if they are good at what they do and then I thought of the X Factor.:eek:

Daniel :: EZPZ Hosting

Daniel :: EZPZ Hosting Graduate

Churn rate, reviews and feedback.

We're rated #1 on a fairly popular review site (that isnt rated by affiliate payout!) which we're extremely proud of :)

Ian Gannon AKA Mr Mobile

Ian Gannon AKA Mr Mobile Freshman

I am good at what I do, because I know alot about the products that I sell. But I have come to accept the 85-90% rule

You only know 85-90%, because if you know 100% there's nothing left to learn, you become complacent, and fail to learn new territories.

NikHurwood

NikHurwood Graduate

I agree with this in part, but one vital lesson in business is that failure should not be confused with "not getting 1st place".

When things don't work, these are valuable learning times, and it's how we learn and respond to times like these that gives the value. For instance, part of what I do is printing and selling stretched canvas prints, when I first entered this arena I thought I would do a market test (on real markets!). The street markets failed abysmally, I sold 2 in several weeks.. lost lots of money doing so... but I learnt alot. I learnt about what people wanted, where they would buy them, and what questions they asked. The canvas printing is now a great earner, and it would have taken longer to get where it is without the (initially heartbreaking) failure!

A great quote I like is:
    "Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results. I know several thousand things that won't work."
    Thomas Edison.

NikkiPilkington

NikkiPilkington Lab Tech

Am I good at what I do? My clients and the results I get for them say so.

Am I the best in the world? Nowhere near - and I wouldn't want to be because if I were there would be no-one to learn from.

Have I made mistakes and got things wrong in order to get to be as 'good' as I think I am? You bet I have - loads of 'em!

Paul Norman

Paul Norman Businessman

I have no actual opinion about how good I am, and agree with Jeff-Smith on that.

But I do know it is extremely important to me to strive for excellence, the journey with no finish line. I must be better than yesterday, I must adopt the highest standards, I must push for better and better.

Others will be the judge, thankfully, as to my success!

simonr

simonr Freshman

How do we measure it? We don't charge people for our training before-hand and splattered all over our communications is a simple promise: "if you don't think your time with us has been worthwhile, just don't pay". It's putting our money where our mouths are!

S

PS: As one of my staff says though - there's a bloody thin line between confident and cocky, Simon! :)

Emma

Emma Senior Lab Tech

I was good at what I did a while back (beauty therapy) but with no sound business plan, my business died a death. :( Oops! :lol:

Mr. Mu

Mr. Mu Applicant

Interesting question Eagle.

Am I good at what I do? Yes. Can I quantify it? No. I can demonstrate it, though.

Mat

Mat Trainee Lab Tech

It is an interesting question.

I have indicators in place for conversion rates and customer satisfaction, but not specifically for how "good" I am. Then again, does how good you are have anything to do with it? I know some very successful web design firms who struggle to put together the most basic of designs.