1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Not all business & social networks are the same. UK Business Labs brings people together and makes blogging, networking, discussion and marketing easy and effective. The software is used by tens of millions of people worldwide so it's simple to use too. UK Business Labs integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, Tapatalk and countless other social media tools; which enables you to share your content quickly. You'll need to register before you can post but registration and basic membership is absolutely FREE. Click the image above or the 'Register' link to get networking with thousands of other business owners. We're looking forward to welcoming you!

Anyone Using eBay For Business

Discussion in 'eBay and Amazon Users' started by The Cue Store, Feb 15, 2012.

The Cue Store

The Cue Store Junior Lab Tech

I did some calculation over the weekend and to make any tiny profit I would have to increase my prices by 15%, that's if you take in to account the Listing Fees, Final Fees and PayPal Transaction Fees just to trade on eBay.

Adding the 15% to all my prices wouldn't be competitive at all on eBay with the other companies that trade on their.

Does anyone here actually make a profit by using eBay for their businesses?

AtriumLegal

AtriumLegal Applicant

I have in the past worked for businesses who only used ebay.
    As a platform it does work but you have to have the right product at the right price.
    Ebay has such good traffic and is so well marketed you don't have to do any of it.

When you work out your profit from your site, do you take into account your SEO, PPC and other online marketing?
    On ebay you don't have to do any of this.

I would suggest you trial it with products that have a higher margin and look at it as a seperate venture and work your figures out indipendantly of your website.

Mark

Mark Moderator Staff Member

theangrydog

theangrydog Domaining & Web Development

I have used eBay on occasion, it's great for buyers not so great for sellers, i have had a quick look at your site, personally I don't know a great deal about the market you are in, however when it comes to retail products I don't get involved unless there is a 250% margin, have you tried to find better suppliers?

The Cue Store

I've been told numerous times that I'm in a niche business, getting cheaper suppliers would mean the standard of workmanship wouldn't be as good as they would be mass produced in China for example.

AtriumLegal

AtriumLegal Applicant

Are your competitors selling on ebay?
    This would show they are able to afford it and possibly on better margins.

Ebay are greedy and they know they have you by the curlys if you want to sell with them. There are alternatives such as Amazon, Play or Gumtree. These have different advantages and disadvantages compared to ebay.

theangrydog

theangrydog Domaining & Web Development

Cheaper supplies usually mean more short term profits, but you are currect if the standard isn't that good, you will lose money long term, if you pm me the brands you are interested in, max 3 or 4 I will have my guys have a look for you, can't guarantee anything, but I do find cheaper supplies for 35-80 companies a years,

simonclarkatbusinesstelecoms.com

simonclarkatbusinesstelecoms.com Applicant

Hi

Yes, I have traded successfully on Ebay for nearly five years now, ever since I first listed an item for £2, didn't sell it, but secured a 6,000 minute mobile deal instead with a contact I made!

However:
    1) Mine is an extremely niche market - my Ebay shop is simonclarkbusiness (or search for 'premicell' on Ebay and you'll find me).
    2) I realised from the first listing that the same people who are looking for the particular item are often the same people who are looking to save money on their business landlines and mobiles - my main business activity.

So even though I make sure that I make a profit on every item sold (I also sell little adaptors etc just to make sure I get the 10 feedback per month to get my 20% discount!) the main benefit for me is the contacts and business leads which it generates.

Best Regards

Simon Clark at Business Telecoms dot com

The Cue Store

AtriumLegal I've looked at Amazon they work out more expensive than eBay. At the moment I'm only having SEO work done on the site and to be honest I can't see the difference, amount of orders haven't increased.

Some of my competition are on there, but they don't always sell the same cues that I do they sell cues that are imported from China, and I know I'm probably doing myself out of business but I want to back British Cue and Case makers. I guess to make a profit on eBay I'll have to bite the bullet and sell cues made in China, Thailand etc.

ebaypowerguru

ebaypowerguru Freshman

Hi

Yep, I'm a power seller on eBay. eBay is a great platform and key thing to be sucessful on eBay is to know HOW to sell, it is a skill!

Hope this helps and if you have any more questions feel free to PM me :)

Kind Regards
    The eBay Power Guru

ebaypowerguru

ebaypowerguru Freshman

Hey Justin!

Just replied the question regarding how to sell on eBay you sent me on PM, have a look :)

Kindest Regards

paulfeakins

paulfeakins Graduate

It's good to sell on ebay and through your own website, there are quite a few reasons but if you use the same PayPal account for both you'll get access to better volume discounts.

The Cue Store

Never looked at it that way about PayPal, but you just need to be able to generate the business on both avenues though, which at the moment is a struggle for me.

TandemSolutions

TandemSolutions Freshman

we worked with a company that used ebay, within half a day we increased their sales by over 100% through ebay optimisation.

paulfeakins

paulfeakins Graduate

I don't doubt that, selling on ebay is quite a skill that has to be done right, with professional looking listings (especially thumbnails) and plenty of other techniques that can be used.

TandemSolutions

TandemSolutions Freshman

its was all down to their keywords and titles, sorry it was 300%+ in a day.

see case study here: E-commerce, Content Management Solutions and Web design by TSG Creative

its only short.

Mark

Mark Moderator Staff Member

That's interesting; I never thought about 'exploiting' eBay that way. Fair play to you. :)

Handiegauge

Handiegauge Applicant

Make money on ebay

Hi, Yes I do make money on ebay, I sell my invention the handiegauge / jig / for all kitchen handles for £6.00 and the post is £3.00. you have to price it right and the public will buy your product. Happy selling

well-lit

well-lit Graduate

I've tried to use ebay as a stock clearance platform for some products we are replacing with new ones and pretty big discounts. Haven't sold a single product, ever and as far as i can tell, no one is looking at the page either.

I really can't get my head around it as i sell quite a lot of unwanted personal stuff on ebay and it always seem to do pretty well.

The Cue Store

I've come to the conclusion you need to be an eBay expert to make a living out of it.

Look at Oak Furniture Land they have gone from eBay to having BAM showrooms in 10 years.

Oak Furniture Land: From eBay trader to retail mogul - Telegraph