1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Not all business & social networks are the same. UK Business Labs brings people together and makes blogging, networking, discussion and marketing easy and effective. The software is used by tens of millions of people worldwide so it's simple to use too. UK Business Labs integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, Tapatalk and countless other social media tools; which enables you to share your content quickly. You'll need to register before you can post but registration and basic membership is absolutely FREE. Click the image above or the 'Register' link to get networking with thousands of other business owners. We're looking forward to welcoming you!

Any travelers or explorers out there?

Discussion in 'The Cake and Coffee House' started by Silverisametal, Mar 11, 2016.

Silverisametal

Silverisametal Lab Tech Premium Member

I'm going to start looking in to a few different options for holiday for me and the family.
    But I don't want to go for the traditional lying on a sunbed on a beach in Spain somewhere...

What places in the world have you been that have truly wow'd you?
    Where have you been able to get out an explore the culture and enjoy what the place is all about?

I would appreciate some recommendations :)

BarneyBlue23

BarneyBlue23 Trainee Lab Tech

I've been to Jamaica, I quite liked that but not really a place I'd take young kids to although I'm sure older kids would love it .

Paul Norman

Paul Norman Businessman

You can still go to Spain, but step away from the beaches and visit the cities, and the mountains. The Spanish/French borders are a great place to explore, and very accessible. Stay in, or near, Gerona and let the old city blow your mind.

Narfish

Narfish Freshman

I like Iceland - it's a small place, but lovely culture - so if it's a short break you might enjoy it. Choose the time of year well though as it's often cold and dark, but I like that!

Silverisametal and Paul Norman like this.
    Paul Norman

Paul Norman Businessman

Iceland is most definitely on my places to go list.

Silverisametal

I have too heard great things about Iceland, was also thinking maybe LapLand near christmas time...

Maevla

Maevla Administrator Staff Member

I've been to Jamaica, hated it - I'd have it as one of the worst places I've ever been. Went to Montego Bay and it was such a let down I felt cheated.

Also been to Iceland, went at March time so the snow was melting. It's a lovely place, the people are friendly and the food is stunning.
    The best bit was quad-biking at midnight in the hills in the snow, even if the guide was a gunners fan. Not a whole lot do thoigh if you're going for longer than a short break.

One of my favourite places is Southern Goa. It's got out of this word cuisine, stunning scenery, fantastic beaches, lovely people, 35+ degree heat, can't fault it.

Silverisametal

Goa looks nice, how would that compare to Mumbai, as I've heard Mumbai is swamped in tourism and over-crowding?

ISS

ISS Son of Victor Meldrew Premium Member

Make sure you go to Southern Goa. Northern Goa is like Blackpool in India. Of course if you like going somewhere where most people are covered in tattoos and are on a "cheap break" then the north is probably your cup of tea!

Southern Goa is still more traditional and when you come back you'll be spoiled for curries because the majority of curries over here don't come close to the real thing.

Maevla

Maevla Administrator Staff Member

Not been to Mumbai although I'd like to go, but my friend has just come back from a short holiday travelling around India including Mumbai and she said it's such a contrast to other areas it's unbelievable. You can travel 5 miles out of Mumbai and people just die on the street, and it's just normal. She found that bit quite upsetting.

Binochen

Binochen Applicant

Do you know about the Cinque Terre in Italy? The five villages can't be reached by car, but you can go there by boat or walk along the coast line. But I guess there will be a lot of tourists.
    Personally, I really like Sweden and New Zealand. But it depends what you are looking for. Do you mind a long flight? Do you have children? :)

Silverisametal

I do have children, and am not bothered in the slightest by a long flight... :)

Some very nice suggestions!

Solp

Solp Applicant

Also))

Binochen

Binochen Applicant

If you don't mind a long flight, New Zealand would be great. I would suggest a longer stopover to avoid jet lag and to split up the long flight.
    The Kiwis are pretty relaxed and child-friendly. You can let your children run freely, have them playing at natural streams, go camping etc. Both Sweden and Norway are just as great for that. For a more cultural experience you could go to Bali (temples, crafts, art, beaches).
    So many nice places to explore! Happy holidays :)

Silverisametal likes this.
    Silverisametal

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, so after a lot of thinking with the Mrs, we decided on Mexico!!

Not overly adventurous I know, but it's much further afield that the normal and still child friendly.

Staying at the Sandos Caracol in Riviera Maya, very excited :)
    Anyone been to that area, know of any places to visit or things to look out for?

jeffnev

jeffnev Graduate

I was in Prague recently and loved every minute of it. It was not only very affordable, but had a multitude of historical and cultural landmarks that kept me busy all day. Food choice is lacking, but I think that's simply because I didn't do any research beforehand.

Folodi

Folodi Applicant

I'm also like traveling. Especially I like the different expeditions, hiking. I would like mountaineering. But I think that in the future.
    I focused on mountain climbing today. There are many places which I want to visit. For example, these places are very beautiful, very unusual and interesting. I like.

Do you like mountain climbing?