1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Not all business & social networks are the same. UK Business Labs brings people together and makes blogging, networking, discussion and marketing easy and effective. The software is used by tens of millions of people worldwide so it's simple to use too. UK Business Labs integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, Tapatalk and countless other social media tools; which enables you to share your content quickly. You'll need to register before you can post but registration and basic membership is absolutely FREE. Click the image above or the 'Register' link to get networking with thousands of other business owners. We're looking forward to welcoming you!

Advertising in a booklet?

Discussion in 'Public Relations & Press Releases' started by yourlocaltrades, Sep 26, 2008.

yourlocaltrades

yourlocaltrades Graduate

Is this still good?

We are looking at 100,000 16 page booklets going out (full colour/A5), advertising businesses and tradespeople.

Do you think this sort of thing will work?

We are looking at getting exposure for us aswell as all advertisers, and we are even giving all advertisers 1 year free on the actual website as a bonus.

Thanks
    Steve

Dragon-Media-Group

Dragon-Media-Group Freshman

I think this kind of thing can still work, but I dont think that 16 pages of A5 is substantial enough for people to bother reading through personally. Having said that 100'000 is a much bigger distribution than this type of thing usually has - what are you thinking of charging and for what sizes?

yourlocaltrades

yourlocaltrades Graduate

qtr page £200 (thats 0.002p ea)
    Half £400
    Full £700

Front and back covers, inner front and back £neg

Dragon-Media-Group

Hmmm.

To give you something to compare against (this is obviously not door to door but the numbers are comparable:

VUE Cinema complexes run a magazine which is B5 in size (slightly bigger than A5) and is given away free to each customer. This is 32 pages, 10 of which are reserved for advertising. All advertising is run for two months at a time so is included in 2 seperate magazines. Each VUE cinema will see a minimum of 65'000 customers a month, with some attracting upto 100'000 a month at peak times. If you catch the sales team at the right time of month and negotiate hard enough, you can get a quarter page for £99, a half for £199 and a full page for £299. This is the inclusive price for two months in a row. The cinema audience is 66% ABC1s so are active spenders with a disposable income, and an attractive market to reach.

I would suggest that your prices are going to be prohibitive.

An alternative which you might be able to consider is to have your trades directory printed as a newspaper. This can then be much larger and will offer very good value for money.

Toastking likes this.
    yourlocaltrades

yourlocaltrades Graduate

I am going for 135 gsm, full colour and not cutting any corners.
    Printing costs are £**** so this has to be covered as well as the £**** distribution costs.

The Newspaper look would be cheap, i really dont like it, quality will sell, and i think £200, as others have said too, is a reasonable price.

I would pay that for 100,000 adverts!!

Dragon-Media-Group

If you say so, just offering an opinion.

I personally would rather have half a page in a bigger more prestigious publication reaching more people for £199 than a quarter page in a booklet dropped through doors for £200.

Toastking likes this.
    NikkiPilkington

NikkiPilkington Lab Tech

a quarter page of A5 for £200?

Hmm, I'm afraid I wouldn't do it unless it was EXTREMELY targeted...

As DMG said, there are similar things at a smaller price.

Are you offering exclusivity? Ad design? Demographics?

Toastking likes this.
    yourlocaltrades

yourlocaltrades Graduate

I am currently viewing a few things actually!!, ie-cheaper outgoings for cheaper advertising costs.

It may well mean it wont be full colour!

NikkiPilkington

NikkiPilkington Lab Tech

I see your point about having to recoup printing costs etc - is it possible to have a bigger mag in order to bring prices down?

Maybe rather than just offering set ad prices, offer the chance for some decent advertorial - bigger companies would probably pay more for that (although don't quote me on that, it's a while since I dealt with advertorial).

wood1e

wood1e Freshman

Is your distribution purely B2B or would it be B2C?

How are you going to get your distribution totals confirmed? Are you going to provide any other stats for advertisers to compare your product against existing local/national advertising?

yourlocaltrades

yourlocaltrades Graduate

B2C
    I have prices of local advertising mediums, even £200 is cheaper than them, but some that are cheaper look like photocopied books!! I will be using this for sales.
    3 months for mine is £200 on 100,000 (price may be changing awaiting new quote)
    Local paper 140,000 per day Advert same size £286+vat for one day

Distribution comes with checks, although as i use to run my own distribution business i will be checking myself, i will be providing maps with areas to do, so i know where to check.

Ray Stewart

Ray Stewart Lab Manager

I found a pile of A5 booklets in our Chinese take-away a few weeks ago. I sat waiting for our order and went through it. There were 32 pages of full colour adverts by local businesses. There wasn't any editorial or articles to give this booklet even a flicker of interest for me.

If this had been done well, I, as a local business owner, should have been peeved not to have been asked to be included. As it stood, it was a huge waste of paper, and didn't have a single well written advert in it. What a flop. I was pleased I hadn't been asked to advertise but if I had been, and seen the layout, I would have refused anyway.

I think that in order to charge prices high enough to justify your time and effort in putting it together, it need to be done like a magazine and targeted to a specific market - not just poked through doors or left on the counter of the local takeaway.

If you provided a first class service for your advertisers, by that I mean helping them write adverts that will provoke a response from the market being targeted, and wrap the adverts with lots of meaningful and relevant articles and copy, your advertising spaces will fly out the door. You will be sold out in no time and no-one will question the costs.

It is entirely up to you to turn things around. You have to prove to your advertisers that they will be losing a very real opportunity to boost their sales if they choose not to take space in your laser targeted and interesting publication.

There is an upside as well. You can produce a publication for each business area - the possibilities are unlimited.

But you have to learn how to write convincing ads with a powerful call to action. I can recommend some books to help you with that if you like. You must not allow your advertisers to waste a penny of their money with useless, old fashioned ads that just show name, address, phone no.. yawn.

yourlocaltrades

yourlocaltrades Graduate

I know what you are saying, i do have something in mind, but not too sure.
    Any chance of giving you a quick call?? (PM me No)

NikkiPilkington

NikkiPilkington Lab Tech

Inside Business

Inside Business is an A4 glossy magazine that goes out to businesses in the Milton Keynes area - it is funded totally by advertising, and is a business, so makes a profit on it.

They offer a franchise, and so far I think they have a Northampton edition, Bedford and maybe Luton. The business has been going for well over 10 years, so they're doing something right.

For around £200 I used ot havea full page advertorial in there - and it had free distribution to every business in milton Keynes / northampton / wherever.

It might be worth taking a look - Inside Business

Dragon-Media-Group

If you tell me what areas you are interested in I will get the reps number(s) and forward them to you.

SmilePrint

SmilePrint Applicant

Surely the world abounds with A5 magazines full of dubious(bad) adverts of local businesses. I agree with Ray, unless there is content, why even pick it up? (Unless you're like me who as a local business, wants to know who's advertising etc)

The question is not so much about how much the price per advert, its about response.

I'd sooner pay £1 per advert with a 50% response rate than 0.002p with a 0.00000001% response. Do you get what I mean?

When you prove to the trades man that his £700 investment is exactly that, an investment which returns £1000 upward of business (£2000 upward would be more realistic) then you'll sell the space all day long. Without grounded proof you're asking what every other publication asks "just trust me", and that doesn't wash in 2008.

When buying advertising I often teased the salesmen with, OK I'll take it, and I'll pay you £10 per sale I make as a result. They never did the deal. Why? because they knew deep down they would be the loser.

On another level, how are you ensuring your delivery goes out 100%?

I've had bad experiences with delivery companies, more than one occassion, more than one company.

Just a few thoughts from a sceptical position.

Letusprint.it

Letusprint.it Affordable printing services in London.

Brochure printing is very popular for the business advertising. Find out best printing company for your needs. Crisp, clear print quality and superb color reproduction on a quality range of affordable paper stocks and a range of standard sizes. These are perfect for event programmes, theatre programmes and show guides. Create your very own monthly offer booklet or maybe your own in-house magazine? Whatever you use these for, you can be certain they will turn heads. And with the lowest London brochure printing prices, a free basic artwork check and free delivery right to your door, we challenge you to find a better deal in London today.

Maevla

Maevla Administrator Staff Member

Hello Letusprint.it

I have taken up your challenge *we challenge you to find a better deal in London today.*

This is your turnaround time

Our standard turnaround time for most products is 7-9 working days, unless otherwise stated in the product description. We recommend allowing 2-3 extra days at the end of the 9 working day timeframe in case of a missed delivery or an address which is not locatable. We cannot be held responsible for any shortcomings in our delivery supplier's service. If items are being collected from our offices, unless Express Production has been paid for, we are not able to produce items quicker than the 9 working day window.

We use

http://www.solopress.com/
    Next day delivery - never any issue - Essex I know but we are in North Yorkshire, usually order lunchtime and get delivery before 12 next day - can't fault it

Do I win a prize?

Toastking and Silverisametal like this.