1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Not all business & social networks are the same. UK Business Labs brings people together and makes blogging, networking, discussion and marketing easy and effective. The software is used by tens of millions of people worldwide so it's simple to use too. UK Business Labs integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, WordPress, Tapatalk and countless other social media tools; which enables you to share your content quickly. You'll need to register before you can post but registration and basic membership is absolutely FREE. Click the image above or the 'Register' link to get networking with thousands of other business owners. We're looking forward to welcoming you!

Advertising a job role

Discussion in 'Employment & HR' started by Jake1234, Sep 4, 2015.

Jake1234

Jake1234 Applicant

Fellow business people, we are struggling to find an effective way to advertise a vacancy for an accounts administrator .

When you've been looking to take on an accounts administrator but not an accountant where would you place an advert?

Would you consider using the job center? I don't want to spend a fortune on a recruitment agency as we just don't have the funds at the minute so I'd prefer to give advertising the role myself a go first before bringing in any external companies!

Any experiences and feedback would be much appreciated.

Maevla

Maevla Administrator Staff Member

Hi Jake and welcome

We had this same issue in trying to recruit an accounts person. We tried the job centre, we tried agencies, couldn't find the right person.
    We resorted to facebook, advertised on a selling page - boosted the post - cost us £12 - and found a cracking person.
    Not sure that would work for everyone but it worked for us :)

Toni Rose

Toni Rose Graduate

Hi Jake, welcome to the forum!

Personally for an accounts position I wouldn't waste your time with the job center we recruited for an accounts administrator and were very specific in the advert about the qualifications and experience needed and we had close to 50 applications from people with all kinds of backgrounds yet none with the skills we had advertised for or even close most that had seen the hourly rate and taken their chances!

We didn't interview one person from the job center advertisement as 90% of them had never worked with accounts and didn't have any of the classifications specified and the other 10% had no clear intention of getting back into work. They were awkward when it came to arranging interviews it had to be on their schedule rather than ours, they wanted letters to be given to them before the interview commenced stating they had attended the interview so they could claim back bus fare (before they'd even been on the bus!), we had one guy actually tell us there was no point asking him any questions as he'd only applied so he could meet his criteria and get his benefits the whole thing was a nightmare and we actually made complaints about some applicants to the job center.

For other positions however the job center has worked really well for us our last 4 warehouse positions have been filled through job center advertisements, our last 2 technicians were also from the job center so I think it depends entirely on the role you are looking to fill.

My advice when using the job center don't just interview for the sake of interviewing because they are the only applications that you have it will only waste your time - hold out for the right person!

R. Martin likes this.
    Jake1234

Jake1234 Applicant

Thanks both for the advice - I've heard similar horror stories about the job center but like above I've also seen positives! I haven;t tried Facebook but I do use the selling pages so I'll give it a try nothing to lose I suppose! Has anybody had any experience of poaching from other companies there's a lady I'd like to approach who I've heard through a friend of a friend isn't happy where she is now the only problem is she works for one of our biggest customers so the last thing I want to do is P them off!?

sarastones

sarastones Freshman

I second trying out local job pages on Facebook we advertise there before anywhere else - its free and its fast! Just be prepared to answer a lot of questions lol :rolleyes:

Maevla

We once took somebody on who worked for one our major customers - we told them up front he had applied for a job and that we would interview him as any other candidate, but what were their thoughts.

They were pretty open and didn't give any negative comments and our trade wasn't affected in any way. As they were one of our biggest customers at the time though, I wouldn't have done it any differently.

You also have to remember that there my be a good reason that the employee isn't happy where she is. she might just be rubbish at her job and they are putting pressure on her to improve. Of course, it could be that she is a whizz and undervalued :)

Jake1234

Jake1234 Applicant

I think I'll give that a go and just approach the company direct we have quite a friendly working relationship so fingers crossed!

R. Martin

R. Martin Applicant

There are many low cost, or even free, resources for finding the right people for your company. You can use social networks like LinkedIn, job boards, post newspaper ads, etc.

Toastking

Toastking Trainee Lab Tech

Hey there - if you'd count yourself as a startup you will frequently find people trying to escape corporate jobs to go work for startups or travel or something. You will find qualified candidates on any of them, its just a case of working out how to attract them and who is going to stick around...

www.escapethecity.org
    www.unicornhunt.io
    www.f6s.com
    www.workinstartups.com

Many companies advertise in there that are definitely not startups (I've seen TESCO, big charities etc.) but I think its because it is more about the vibe and the calibre of candidate who use these sites regularly.

Maevla

Toast - do these places cover the whole country?

Toastking

Yes and in fact they all aim to cover the world (to differing degrees). I got my own position as a founding employee at a startup through Escape the City and think its a great thing they have going on there.

Each of them wants to appeal to the one man bands, the location independent entrepreneurs and big businesses that want corporate escapees so that tend to get visitors from all over the show.

From my interactions I'd guess its an even 1/4 each for London, Rest of UK, Europe and USA for Escape the City. Unicornhunt.io however is almost entirely London but thats not by design.

@Maevla are you in the process of recruiting? Whats the role and where in the UK (or could it be done remotely) are you looking for ideally?

Maevla

Yes we are just looking to recruit two trainee It technicians, must be over 23 and have 2 years clean driving license as involves some working away, based in north Yorkshire. Also need to be able to pass a CRB check wit ha view to becoming NPPV 3 cleared.
    Not the best time of year to have to recruit around here, unfortunately for us, but I Might take a look at these sites as something different for us, they don't look like the traditional job sites, which we find to be less than useless - a bit like advertising on linked in :)

Toastking

Talking about LinkedIn how skilled up on it are you? There are so many things you can do that are a lot better than simply using the job listing to try and line up candidates. I can even advise on a few of these things. PM me or add me https://uk.linkedin.com/in/danielrice85 . Its not my business but I have used it and advised on using it in the past :D

WorkPlace HR

WorkPlace HR Applicant

There are plenty of inexpensive recruitment platforms for advertising roles, Monster, Reed, Indeed etc. i don't rate the job centre website either.
    Facebook. twitter and linkedin are all great for advertising positions as well these days. I'm quite late to this thread so i hope you have already found the perfect person by now!

Krystsina

Krystsina Freshman

Why not to simply use job search websites? When I was looking for a job, I used to check them from time to time to see what's free on the market.

+ Facebook groups! There are tons of groups on Facebook where people offer and search for a job, so you could just check them and place a post about your vacancy.